Have you ever just wanted to freshen up your hair, but not want to jump into the shower? You may be interested in using a product that is rising in popularity. For those days when you just don’t have time to wash and blow dry your hair, you can use a dry shampoo.
Dry shampoos can be found in either powder or spray form. They clean hair, soak up excess oil and leave your hair smelling fresh. Because experts are warning about the dangers of too much washing, dry shampoo has gained in popularity very quickly. This type of shampoo is a dry product designed to clean your hair without water. It is not supposed to take the place of a real shower, but to help when you’re in a pinch or need to freshen up.
How To Apply Dry Shampoo
You may be wondering how exactly does one use a dry shampoo. It really isn’t difficult but you may need to try a few times to get the technique.
Here are some easy steps to follow when using a dry shampoo:
- Pick a day when your hair is dry and dirty.
- Choose a dry shampoo that is lightweight and the right colour for your hair. Pick one that smells good to you and doesn’t leave residue.
- Take the dry shampoo and spray your hairline. Go along the hairline of the whole face. Hold the can at least a few inches, but close to ten inches from your face. Only spray for a few seconds.
- Separate your hair into several sections. This will help you get equal coverage all over your hair.
- Spray your roots and your natural part. Go from the front to the back of your head. Try not to over do the spraying, but do try to get all the roots.
- Do some finishing up with your fingers, but don’t touch too much. Less touching after a dry shampoo is the best idea.
There are a few things to keep in mind when using a dry shampoo. As always, if you have questions, feel free to speak to your hair stylist.
- If you want volume, flip your hair upside down and blend the powder with your fingers. You’ll be able to gt all of your roots as well. Shake your hair and flip your hair back up. Gently brush your hair now to suit your tastes.
- You only need to apply dry shampoo to the top few inches of your hair. Spraying it all over will lead to too much product and can make your tresses stiff and dull.
- It may surprise you, but choose the right colour of dry shampoo for your hair. If you have light-coloured hair, choose a light-coloured shampoo. If your hair is dark, choose a dark shampoo.
- Don’t forget to rub or massage the dry shampoo into your hair. You need to rub the product onto your scalp and roots.
What to Avoid
Dry shampoo is great, but try to avoid the following issues so your hair can stay healthy and look great. Avoid spraying too close to your head. Your hair and scalp will get a chalky residue which will dull your look. Try not to use too much shampoo. Too much dry shampoo will discolour and dull your hair. How do you know how much is enough? Start with just a little bit, wait a few minutes and try some more if needed.
Remember that dry shampoos are not for everyday use. They are great for in-between washes. Using this type of shampoo too often can be harmful to the hair, as it can plug your hair follicles. When you do use it, let the dry shampoo sit for a few minutes before rubbing it in.
Enjoy the ease of a dry shampoo. Let your stylist guide you if you are interested in trying this popular alternative to getting your head wet.